Keep Your Home Warm and Fire Safe This Winter | SERVPRO® of Gillette, Sheridan
We are in the throes of the winter season here in Wyoming! With the subzero temperatures and a few snowstorms under our belts already, we are all definitely relying on our home’s heat sources to stay warm every day. House fires are more common in winter because of our increased reliance on our furnaces and fireplaces.
It is possible to reduce your risk of experiencing a house fire this season, though! It just takes some extra cleaning and precautions, which we have laid out below.
The winter season is your furnace’s time to shine! Your furnace and HVAC system work hard every day to heat your home, but they are often overlooked when it comes to maintenance.
Inspect your furnace regularly for issues, and give it a good cleaning in and around the mechanisms to remove any dust or debris buildup.
If you haven’t already done so this season, change your furnace’s air filter! It is recommended that all air filters be replaced at least every 90 days, so the change in season is the perfect time to do it. If you have a larger family or you have pets in your home, try to swap out your filter even more often.
While this task is simple to do, it can actually help extend the lifespan of your HVAC system and can keep your air cleaner throughout your entire home.
Having a fireplace can be such a luxury at this time of year! It is an efficient way to quickly heat up a space and can provide your home with a cozy feel. However, your fireplace needs to be cleaned and maintained as well to ensure your family’s safety.
If your fireplace is artificial, remove the glass and clean the logs and surrounding walls to remove dust and other debris. For wood-burning fireplaces, regularly remove leftover ashes and ensure that your chimney isn’t blocked or damaged. Finally, wipe down the bricks to remove soot buildup.
Space heaters can come in handy for small rooms or particularly chilly parts of your home. But it should be no surprise that they are fire hazards, too! Always keep your space heaters at least three feet away from flammable materials or furniture, and be sure to turn them off before going to sleep.
Before you turn yours on, plug it directly into a wall, not an extension cord. It should also be on a level surface to avoid it tipping over.
Whenever you turn on your space heater or utilize your fireplace, keep a close eye on your pets and children. Accidents can happen at any point and could leave you vulnerable to a widespread disaster!
If you experience fire damage this season, give us a call at SERVPRO of Gillette, Sheridan for immediate assistance. We’re here 24⁄7 when you need us!